D. Chisholm & Sons was established in 1878 by Donald Chisholm, a cabinet maker. He was then joined by his son Murdo and they continued producing furniture and coffins as well as undertaking funerals from their premises in Academy Street, Inverness, before moving to George Street, Inverness. Several pieces of their furniture can still be seen in our directors homes today.
By the time the third generation joined the family business, the focus was on funeral directing and brothers David and James Chisholm developed the funeral business by offering improved facilities and vehicles.
Our first fleet consisted of a Humber hearse and limousine and bore the old Inverness ST registration plates which are still in use today.
In 1978 we acquired the former Queen Street Church on the west bank of the River Ness. After extensive renovations, this landmark building became our funeral home in 1986 now under the guidance of the fourth generation, George M. Chisholm.
The Business is now under the supervision of the fifth generation, George J. Chisholm. As the business continues to develop we are mindful of modern views while maintaining traditional values.
We are very proud of our heritage. As a family business, personal relationships are central to the bespoke funeral services we provide.